Friday, December 14, 2012

the world can overwhelm


I'm sure most of you have heard the tragic news today.

I came home this afternoon from a visit with a friend and checked my Facebook page.  The first thing I saw was someone posting condolences to those who were killed at the Connecticut elementary school.  They didn't specify which one.

My heart stopped beating.  I thought of D.  I panicked, I prayed, I immediately put on the news.

Not D.  Not his school.  Thank you, Lord.  My heart started beating again.

It's beating, but it's breaking.  I feel like I've been punched in the gut.  I know (and you know) that there is no greater pain than that of losing a child.  That's it.  That's the end.  Do not pass "Go", do not collect $200.  Your life as you know it is over.

I know there will be a lot of talk, a lot of debating, a lot of navel-gazing in the days to come.  How can we prevent this from happening again? 

People talk about change, but they never do anything.  There is a lot of compliance, or everyone gets angry and yells at everyone else, but there is very little change.  Most people (in this country) are comfortable.  We want what we want and no one (and no law) will keep us from having it.

But we must start looking at the bigger picture.  Because honestly?  I don't ever want to hear about a mass shooting again.  Not in a school, not in a mall, not in a movie theater.  I'm tired of it.  I'm tired of people who are so angry/full of despair being able to pick up a gun and mow down whole families.

The answer to guns isn't more guns.

We're human beings. Our brains are equipped to handle the big questions, but somewhere along the way we've gotten lazy.   We're a species on a blue planet in a universe full of stars, we are a rare and wonderful confluence of life, intelligence, and morality.  And we're throwing it all in the gutter.  And while I believe God loves us, I can't help but think that at the same time, tonight, he's very, very disappointed in us.

2 comments:

 

Blog Template by YummyLolly.com - Header made with PS brushes by gvalkyrie.deviantart.com
Sponsored by Free Web Space